Here you can find the best on contemporary arts in Prague ideal to color your instagram feed in a non-pretentious manner.
First of all, if you are into contemporary art, you should know that Prague, relative to its size, is very rich for its selections, ranging from more “established” museums with high quality exhibitions. And in addition to that, there are multiple smaller galleries & organizations which are playing more in “underground” space via more “forward” or contredictory visual displays. Cool thing is that all these establishments are getting necessary support (at least that’s how it looks from outside), and also attracting relatively large-enough/good crowds. So Prague people is (relatively) interested in contemporary art, which is another reason why you should love here 🙂
You can check this Google Map link to see all these spots for contemporary arts in Prague on the map.
- DOX – multi-functional cultural center with high quality exhibitions and an interesting design, highlighted by the huge airship hanging on its terrace.
- MEETFACTORY – old warehouse converted in a living contemporary cultural center of exhibition space & music/theater venue.
- PRAGOVKA – “art district” located in a early 19th century factory, featuring galleries by its residents and also live events.
- FORBIDDEN SPOT – art gallery & hangout spot whose walls are all covered by graffiti artists they collaborate with.
- LEICA GALLERY – small gallery/cafe dedicated to photography exhibitions.
Other good visual arts options
- NOVA GALERIE – Small cozy gallery in Zizkov with usually local contemporary painting exhibitions.
- UMPRUM – ACADEMY OF ARTS – Located in one of the finest squares of Prague (nam. Jana Palacha), featuring exhibitions in a nice art-school environment.
- STUDIO ALTA – Multi-functional space located in a warehouse type building, including exhibitions, live performances, and a cozy cafe.
- CHEMISTRY GALLERY – small gallery on top of a dance studio with usually unorthodox painting exhibitions.
- JATKA78 – theatre hall frequently putting on unconventional/contemporary performances from different genres.
- POLAGRAPH – cool photography shop.
- KAMPA MUSEUM – modern art museum located in beautiful Kampa island. fairly touristic but the exhibitions are high quality.